Welcome to the Michigan State University African Futures Research Leadership Program for African Researchers 2023!
As part of our commitment to promote and strengthen research leadership among African scholars, the African Futures Research Leadership Program will provide a unique opportunity to African researchers from across the continent to explore and expand their research capabilities in the fields of international development and global health.
Through the program, selected participants will have the chance to gain valuable experience in international research, global health and development, and leadership. During the nine-month (September 2023-May 2024) program at Michigan State University, fellows will have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities, including research seminars, field visits, workshops, and mentorship opportunities.
The program will also provide fellows with the opportunity to collaborate with MSU faculty and experts from diverse disciplines to explore innovative research approaches and methodologies. Throughout the program, fellows will have access to resources and mentorship to assist them in developing their own research initiatives.
At the conclusion of the program, fellows will be in a better position to pursue academic and professional opportunities, either in their home countries or in the global community.
The African Futures Research Leadership Program is open to researchers from across Africa who are currently enrolled in a PhD program or have received a PhD within the past five years. In order to be eligible for the program, applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to research and scholarship in the field of global development and health.
We are proud to be offering this unique opportunity to African researchers and look forward to receiving a wealth of applications from across the continent. If you have any questions about the program, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We look forward to welcoming our new fellows in 2023!
MSU African Futures Research Leadership Program Details
- Category: Fellowship
- Organisation: Michigan State University
- Country to study: United States
- School to study: Michigan State University
- Course to study: Not specified
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2023
Benefits of MSU African Futures Research Leadership Program
- Successful applicants will be paired with a suitable MSU faculty mentor and will work with their mentor over a one-year period at MSU.
- AAP will provide scholars a salary during their time at MSU, and will cover airfare and visa application fees. Scholars will also receive a small grant for their research and professional development activities, to be spent in coordination with their mentors.
- Eligible scholars will be current early career Academic Staff at AAP member universities who have received their PhD within the past ten years.
- Must be an early career woman researcher
- Citizen of an African country in which AAP operates
- Completion of a PhD degree within the last 10 years
- Employed as an Academic Staff member at one of the 10 AAP African consortium universities including Egerton University, Makerere University, University of Dar es Salaam, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Botswana, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, University Cheikh Anta Diop, University of Arts and Humanities, Bamako, United States International University-Africa, and University of Pretoria
- Have documented approval of leave or sabbatical to participate in the program for one year
- Have a mentor at their home institution that will serve as a collaborator and mentor when they return to their home institution
- Research must be in one of AAP’s six priority areas: agri-food systems, water, energy, & environment, youth empowerment, education, health & nutrition, and culture
Additional program deadlines:
- Final selection: March 1, 2023
- Expected start date: August 25, 2023
- Expected end date: July 31, 2024
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Michigan State University on msu.co1.qualtrics.com to apply
Applicants will submit a proposal that includes a CV, letter of interest, endorsement from their department chair and AAP focal point, writing samples, and letters of reference.
For more details,visit MSU website
Leave a Reply