The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) is a global leader in multidisciplinary research and analysis on international affairs. Its Mediterranean, Middle East, and Africa Research Programme (MMAR) is an important platform for the study of the region’s political, economic, and security dynamics. The Programme is designed to provide insight into the challenges and opportunities that the region presents and to foster understanding of the dynamics of change and continuity.
In its 2023 iteration, the MMAR programme will focus on six key themes: economics and finance; energy and climate change; governance and security; migration, displacement and refugee protection; soft power; and trade and investment. Each of these themes will be addressed through rigorous academic research, policy analysis and dialogue with stakeholders.
The MMAR programme will bring together experts from across the Mediterranean, the Middle East and Africa to work collaboratively on these topics. Working groups of leading experts from academia and policy-making institutions will be formed to study and discuss the various challenges facing the region. The MMAR programme will also coordinate and collaborate with other research initiatives and think tanks in order to better understand and contribute to the dynamic nature of the region.
The MMAR programme will result in a range of research outputs, including policy briefs, analytical papers, and dialogue reports. Additionally, the programme will host several roundtables and workshops to facilitate dialogue between the various stakeholders in the region. These initiatives will provide a platform for the exchange of ideas, experiences, and solutions to challenges facing the Mediterranean, Middle East, and Africa today.
The Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), based in Rome, (Italy), is hiring a Junior Researcher to work in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa Programme to carry out and disseminate research with a particular focus on the following topics:
- Political, socio-economic and security dynamics in the Middle East, (Iraq, Iran, Gulf monarchies, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt)
- European and transatlantic policies with a particular focus on conflict, human security, cooperation and peace mediation,
- (Inter)regionalism and regionalisation
- Dynamics and governance of migration and displacement.
The successful candidate will be integrated in all the work processes of the program carried out by the IAI headquarters in Rome.
Activities will include:
- Writing articles, papers, reports and research documents
- Editing documents for publication
- Collecting sources and producing documentation
- Assisting in the organisation of seminars and conferences, and producing conference reports about them
- Supporting the cooordinationcoordination of international research groups and projects which also involve political and civil society representatives
- Participating as a speaker in seminars and conferences
- AssistigAssisting with fundraising and networking activities aimed at developing the Mediterranean, Middle East and Africa Programme
- Updating the IAI website and coordinating communication activities of projects.
Istituto Affari Internazionali Mediterranean, Middle East & Africa Research Programme Details
- Category: Fellowship
- Organisation: Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI)
- Country to study: Italy
- School to study: Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI)
- Course to study
- Area Studies
- Diplomatic Studies
- International Law
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Application Deadline: January 5, 2023
Eligibility for Mediterranean, Middle East & Africa Research Programme Qualification
Applicants must have the following requirements:
- Italian or foreign Master Degree in: international relations, political science, area studies, diplomatic studies, economy, international law (completed or at an advanced stage following the delivery of the final thesis)
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Italian
- Knowledge of academic literature relating to the Mediterranean/broader Middle East, as well as Euro-Mediterranean relation
- Relevant work experience (which may also include postgraduate and/or internship training
- Advanced skills in analytical writing and reporting
- Knowledge of a Middle Eastern language
- Work or study experience in the region
- English language publications
- Editorial experience
- Knowledge of gender dynamics in international relations, with particular reference to the role of women in diplomacy and peace mediation
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted by 5 January 2023, 23:59 (CET) to programma-med(at)iai.it , email object: last name – Rif. MED-junior-researcher-2023, attaching in a single pdf document:
- CV including date of birth, title of the Master’s thesis and final grade, relevant work experience
- motivational letter in English
- possibly up to 2 short publications
- signed consent form for the processing of personal data (IT, download)
The candidate may also attach a letter of reference.
No phone calls, please.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview which will take place from 10 January 2023 onwards, preferably in Rome at IAI headquarters, or online (Skype or other platforms).
A written test in English may be required during the interview.
No communication will be sent to non-selected candidates, whom we thank in advance for their interest.
This announcement is addressed to both genders and to people of all ages and all nationalities, according to Italian law.
For more details, visit IAI website.
Leave a Reply