The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries is a joint initiative by the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) and UNESCO. This scholarship is available to doctoral students from low- and middle-income countries to pursue a PhD degree in exact and natural sciences, engineering and related fields.
The objective of this scholarship is to support outstanding young researchers from developing countries in their pursuit of higher education and research excellence. The scholarship will cover the cost of student tuition, travel and living expenses, and other related costs. In addition, the scholarship will also cover the cost of research materials and equipment, and other related costs.
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) was formally launched in 2019 with the goal of training and cultivating young scientists from all over the world. The ANSO Scholarship supports 200 Master’s students and 300 PhD students every year to pursue postgraduate education at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) around China. Please find the full Call for the ANSO Scholarship here.
This year, a sub-category of the ANSO Scholarship: the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship is being officially launched. Echoing the priority of TWAS/UNESCO, special (not exclusive) consideration will be given to two target groups: Least Development Countries (LDCs) and women. Up to 40 PhD students from developing countries in the South will be selected by TWAS/UNESCO into this category every year.
CAS, the leading founding member of ANSO, is the major sponsor of the ANSO Scholarship. TWAS and UNESCO, both founding members of ANSO, provide part of the funding for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship awardees. ANSO welcomes all members and parties who are interested in creating a more diversified scholarship program together.
ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship
Organisation: The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
Country to study: China
School to study–
Course to study:
- Agricultural Science
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Social and Economic Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2023
Requirements for ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship Qualification
- Eligible applicants should NOT hold Chinese citizenship;
- Eligible applicants must be nationals of eligible developing countries in the South (Developing Countries in the South | TWAS)
- Eligible applicants should be proficient in English or Chinese;
- For PhD program applicants: you should be born after 1st January 1988 (inclusive);
- Eligible applicants should meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Eligible applicants should NOT take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
- If the applicant is currently pursuing a doctoral degree at any university/institution in China, s/he will NOT be eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship. Otherwise, s/he will be disqualified from admission and the situation will be reported to the current university/institution
You are NOT allowed to apply for the ANSO Scholarship in both USTC and UCAS simultaneously, otherwise you will be disqualified from admission.
How to Apply
For more details, visit TWAS website.